Sunday 5 September 2010

Classics vs. Trivial Literature

Classics; the books they say 'you have too read'. Who says that? Am I a bad person for not reading them? Or even not liking them?

As I said before Pride and Prejudice made me fall asleep. Papillon (Charriere) was ok in the beginning, but after his 3rd escape NOTHING new happens, it booooring. Homer's Odyssey? Joyce's Ulysses? Catch 22 by Heller? Kafka? Yeats? ... I can't help it but I don't like them. Not that I ever finished reading them (except one Kafka) but I don't even understand what they are talking about most of the time.

And what's wrong with reading 'rubbish'? I love all the Nicolas Sparks novels (even though they're all the same) and Steven King and the Twilight Saga and other nonsense!

Is it not more important to actually enjoy what you read rather than spending time trying to go through a book without thinking of cleaning the room or making plans on how not to fall asleep? I'm not saying that all the classics are unreadable, I loved Jane Eyre, Les Miserables and Oscar Wilde I just wish some people would stop bothering me about all the 'good' books. Is literature not like music ... everyone has a different taste?

No comments:

Post a Comment